LMFY Q&AYOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Q. What is Lyceum Music Festival Youth?
LMFY is a week-long music camp for sting players ages 7-17. It offers a rare professional full-symphonic experience. Students will be mentored by professional musicians each day. There are also various fun activities for the student and their families.
Q. Who can attend?
Musicians ages 7-17 that play an orchestral instrument at an advanced level are invited to seek admission. You can send in a recorded audition or sign up for a live audition. We also have a beginning orchestra this year!
Q. Am I a good enough player to attend LMFY?
We encourage all students 7-17 who practice regularly and take private lessons to audition. There is no way to determine skill without an audition. But as a general guideline we require:
- Symphonic Orchestra (Schedule A ) students to read music well with good intonation and beautiful tone, be comfortable shifting in higher positions, vibrato, be capable of playing fast passage work including in difficult key signatures, and be studying with a private teacher.
- Chamber Orchestra (Schedule B) students to read music well, play in tune with beautiful tone and vibrato, be comfortable playing in first through fifth positions, and be studying with a private teacher.
- Crescendo Orchestra (Schedule C) students need to be able to play about late book one, book two, or book three, possibly shift just a little, vibrato a little, and be able to read music a little.
Q. How does the registration and payment work?
Do not register and pay if you have not been accepted either by audition, invitation, or are returning from a previous year. At the time of registration you must pay the tuition in whole or make a non-refundable deposit of $100 to save your spot. The remainder will be automatically withdrawn on June 30.. Those who prefer to make a payment over the phone may call 1-800-921-8752. Payments can also be made in person or by check. Please make payable to American Heritage School, 736 N. 1100 E., American Fork, UT 84003. See Tuition & Fees for details.
Q. How do I redeem my scholarship?
Included with each scholarship award is a scholarship code. Enter this code in the Scholarship Code field of the On-line Registration page. Be aware that admission is limited. Once a particular instrument category is filled registration is closed for that instrument.
Q. What are my options for food and lodging?
We do not provide food & lodging for students as the schedule for the camp participants begin and end each day at a time that is reasonable for them to commute. If a student is coming from a distance s/he can make their own arrangements to stay with another family or book accommodations at a local hotel .
Q. How is orchestra seating determined?
Seating will be determined by audition by each sectional coach. Each student will play the same excerpts as indicated in the music folders sent to them.
Q. When will I get the music?
Participants receive music parts and links to recordings at least 6 weeks prior to the Festival. If you want to get an early start, the student resources tab on the main menu has links to some of the most challenging repertoire on the program this summer.
Q. I have a disability. Can I still attend?
Yes, pending audition. American Heritage Campus is a facility that can accommodate disabilities, but please contact the Festival Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to work out the details.
Q. What should I bring to the Festival?
Here’s a a few things you will need each day:
- Comfortable and modest rehearsal clothing. The weather averages 80 degrees outdoors and 70 degrees indoors.
- Your own water bottle and sack lunch.
- Instrument, music, pencil, rosin, mutes ~ anything you need to play your best!
- A great attitude; ready to play and have fun!
Q. What should I not bring to the Festival?
Thank you for not bringing:
- Game systems (Nintendo DS)
- DVD players
- Movies or DVDs
- Laptop Computers
We cannot be responsible for any items you bring that may get lost or damaged.
Q. Who can I contact if my question is not answered here?
Contact Festival Director at email@example.com.